It reminded me to finish the post I had started (but left off) in similar vein...
For New Year's Eve 2000, the Millennium, I was in Prague (for the very first time), with Simon.
We were staying in the Praha Palace Hotel (where I learned it made no sense to pay just under £500 per night for a hotel room, albeit a suite, when you were never in it, albeit that Cher and Uma Thurman-though not together, certainly-had been in the same suite/bed/crapped in the same toilet, probably-but it was the millennium).
We had the "obligatory" St Sylvester meal costing just under 400euro each, which wasn't obligatory at all, the nuance being lost in translation. Despite my sending a fax saying Simon was vegetarian, which meant no meat, no fish, there was only meat and fish on offer for him on the night.
We left before midnight, and I spent the rest of the night drinking mulled wine and home made wodka from the most geographically extreme eastern Europeans who wanted a picture with a guy in a kilt and insisted, in return, that I sample their potato wodka.
As a result I was violently sick with red wine puke about 5am, over the toilet that Uma Thurman had shat in....
- I was a partner in a top 10 (Scottish) law firm
- I was rather bored in my job
- I was out-a confirmed homosexual- to my parents and to my brother, but not to the rest of my family. I was out at work
- I was living in Aberdeen, with someone who I thought was the love of my life and with whom I would share the rest of my life
- I was still immature in my relationship
- I dialled up to the internet and my mobile was a pay-as-you-go purchased from QVC
- I work for a top 20 (London) law firm where I am not a partner. However I am paid more than double what I was this time 10 years ago
- I am rather bored in my job
- I am a confirmed homosexual to all my family and at work; but not to my American friends
- I am living in London with the love of my life and with someone I will share the rest of my life
- I am fully mature in my relationship
- WiFi and I'm waiting for Apple to catch up with the better camera on offer from Google's nexus 1, whereupon I'll buy an iPhone.